Lesson Ten  Past Activities 过去时
What did you do last Saturday?  上周六你干什么了?
last year 去年
last month 上个月
last week 上周
last Saturday 上周六
last night   昨天晚上 
the last one 最后的
She was the last one. 她是最后一名
the last but not least      最后同样重要的是
do→did 过去式转换
Pierce went to the gym to work out yesterday.  Pierce昨天去健身房健身了。
go→went 过去式转换
gym = gymnasium       体育馆、健身房
Capital Gym                首都体育馆
stadium                        体育场
Worker’s Stadium     工人体育场
work out = do exercises  健身
Dan stayed up watching the World Cup last night, and overslept this morning.
Dan昨晚熬夜看世界杯,今天早晨睡过头了。
stay up to the midnight          熬到半夜
I stayed up until midnight reading a novel. 我一直熬到半夜来看小说
I stayed up all night cramming for the examination. 我熬夜在准备考试
pull an all nighter                  开夜车
oversleep→overslept  睡过头
sleep→slept  睡觉的过去式转换
I ran into an old friend of mine on the street this morning.  今天上午我在街上遇到了一个老朋友。
What did you do this morning? 今天早晨你干了什么
I went shopping this morning.  今天早晨我出去购物了
I run into my boss. 我碰见了我的老板
He run into a car accident. 他遇到了车祸
She didn't recognize me.  她没认出我来。
Bill was shy before he got this job.  Bill做这份工作前挺害羞的。
Where is John? John was here a minute ago.  John在哪儿?他刚才还在呢。
I was in Shanghai two years ago. 两年前我去过上海
I met him two weeks ago. 两周前我见过他
He was here a moment ago. 刚才见过他
He was here a minute ago. 同上
Judy invited some friends to visit her new house.  Judy邀请几个朋友去参观她的新房子。
He invited us to dinner. 他邀请我们吃饭
He invited us to the party. 他邀请我们参加聚会
He invited us to go shopping. 他邀请我们去购物
He invited us to go skiing. 他邀请我们去滑雪
Yesterday we had a good time at David’s birthday party.  昨天我们在David的生日晚会上玩儿得很高兴。
have a good time = enjoy oneself  度过愉快的时光
Professor Smith retired two years ago.  Smith教授两年前退休。
Mary used to be a diplomat, but now she works in a company.  Mary以前是外交官,但现在在公司工作。
diplomat / diplomacy 外交官/外交
used to       过去经常做
be used to 习惯于做某事
I’m used to doing the exercises in the morning. 我习惯早晨锻炼身体 
I used to exercise in the morning. 我过去经常早晨锻炼身体
He used to work very hard. 他过去工作很努力
He used to be industrious. 他过去很勤奋
I’m used to the fast pace of life. 我已经习惯快节奏的生活
I’m used to getting up early. 我习惯于早起
Mr. Cooper started a company at the age of 28.  Cooper先生二十八岁开了一家公司。
I majored in finance when I was in college.  我上大学的时候专业是金融。
My major is accounting. 我的专业是会计
My major is business administration. 我的专业是商务管理的
MBA = master of business administration 工商管理硕士
John returned to his hometown five years later.  五年后John回到了他的家乡。
John went to college at the age of 18 and hegraduated four years later. 18岁的时候john上了大学,4年后他毕了业
I told you so.  我早知道会这样儿。
after-wit  事后聪明
I knew it. 我就知道
Did you mean...? 你刚才的意思…?
Sorry, I didn’t catch you. 不好意思,我没听清
Did you say your name was Sally? 你刚才是说你叫sally吗?
Harry:  Joe! I thought it was you. I’m Harry Burns.
Joe:     Harry, how're you doing?
Harry:  Good, how're you doing?
Joe:     I'm doing fine.
Harry:  Yeah, it's great. I was just walking by and I
            thought it was you and there it is, it's you!
Joe:    Yeah, yea, it was.
Let bygones be bygones.       既往不咎。